Forum Replies Created

Page 10 of 11
  • Mark

    Member
    August 31, 2017 at 9:39 am in reply to: Transmission key pad blinks “Do Not Shift”

    Have you tried disconnecting the harness to the keypad, waiting ten seconds, and plugging it back in?

  • Mark

    Member
    August 27, 2017 at 6:57 pm in reply to: Dons Prevost OTR ac/heat ramblings(w/pics)

    You are correct as to the changing pressures when you have added a little heat. As the system brings down the low side pressure we can get to a conditon where the evaporator becomes very cold. Ideally the unloaders should have “unloaded” to try to prevent this condition. Whether you have the mechaical unloader that reacts to the compressor pressures or the newer system with pressure switches to control whether the unloader is off or on, the unloaders are trying to prevent the cycling of the compressor clutch.

    Normally with the heated air you are pushing past the evaporator you have enough heat load to prevent cycling. But once the air becomes cold then the system gets very efficient and the temperatures at the evaporator start fo drop. Ideally one unloader will activate and drop the compressor to 4 cylinders to try to prevent low pressure. If the pressure (temperature) continue to go down, the other inloader activates and yoiu are now running on two cylinders. If you continue to drop in pressure/temperature then you hit the low pressure switch and the clutch is unloaded. On the XL a/c system the red light indicates a high pressure or low pressure issue as the light is turned on in response to one of those switches.

    That is why is is good to have the system set for a temperature around 70 degrees. That way when the thermistor in the return air duct sees the temperaure dropping below 70, it opens the hot water valve for a brief time and then closes it and tests the change it may see. It may need to do this several times to get the temperature adjusted. When you are climbing a hill under load at high rpm, the compressor is also at high rpm and if the system cannot keep up due to being slightly undercharged, you will get the red a/c light in the dash. From your desription and because you really did not lose cooling in the vehicle I would wait and observe to see if it becomes more frequent and you are then losing your good a/c in the vehicle.

    With all mobile a/c systems with rubber/teflon hoses there is a migration rate of the refrigerant molecules through the hoses. Thus you may need some additional refrigerant added when you note a loss of cooling effect. This varies by vehicle or so it seems,

    In general it seems that your sytem is working correctly and still providing good cooling on high temperatures.

  • Mark

    Member
    August 27, 2017 at 6:41 pm in reply to: Filling Tires From The Main Bus Compressor

    I have a power tank like Ronald talked about. Very handy to use, I can walk around and top off all tires as needed in a couple minutes. If all you are doing is topping off up to about 5psi, the tank will top off about 30 tires. I second what Jon said, if all of your tires and stems are in good shape you shouldn’t have to mess with them very often. I topped off my tires in May for a 3000 mile trip and as of last Thursday befor I left on a trip they had not changed at all.

  • Mark

    Member
    August 27, 2017 at 6:26 pm in reply to: Well ah S#@t

    I went through an accident a couple of years ago (not with the bus) where a woman ran a red light and hit me in the front of my F250. I was advised that when the at-fault party’s insurance is paying for my repairs, I am actully BETTER OFF. Why? If your own insurance is paying, they will hold you to the letter of the “contract” you signed with them. That’s it. However, you have no such agreement with the other insurance. The burden is on them to make you happy. Your ability to successfully litigate is MUCH is better with the other company than it would be with your own. Nobody wants to litigate, and that other insurance company is much more likely to perform to keep you happy.

    Good Luck!

  • Mark

    Member
    August 27, 2017 at 5:26 pm in reply to: Crazy Generator Behavior

    Another thought is tank venting. Could the engine fuel consumption be creating a vacuum in the tank and continue to overcome it while starving the generator? I have no idea how the tank is vented. As to Jon’s theory, What happens if you run the engine parked on high idle. Does that shut the generator down?

  • Mark

    Member
    August 27, 2017 at 3:55 pm in reply to: west Yellowstone to Jackson, WY

    Dan, thanks for the heads up, for Teton Pass, we frequent many passes, living in CO. I have been over Teton Pass in a pickup some years ago, but was not observing to go over it in the bus, thx again

  • Mark

    Member
    August 21, 2017 at 7:28 pm in reply to: Reprogram Allison trans

    Hi Folks,


    Tom, you are right of course, I have not had my coach for awhile now. And I’m not a bit surprised to find my coach is no longer in Vonore. Jon has always been lusting over the House batterie system in my coach and wanting it as his own. And Tom, you’ve been after the wood ceiling in my coach. So this comes as no surprise to me!


    I have about 8 guys who asked me every once in awhile the status of my coach? I don’t have that answer, but I can tell you of a dream I had last night.


    In my dream I had died and gone to meet St Peter at the golden gates and noticed this guy walking next to me wearing a Prevost Community hat on his head and an outfit from the last Village People concert. I recognized him immediately as Jeff from ETLC!


    St Peter greeted us and immediately apologized saying that the quota for heaven today is one and with two of us here, one of us had to go back! He then told us he’s well aware that everyone from earth loves a game of chance. So here’s what we’ll do… Whomever comes up with the best poem in one minute gets into heaven.


    I said to St Peter this just isn’t right, I always heard Heaven to be a fair place and this isn’t fair at all. I’m just a resident beanbag but Jeff here is a Prevost specialist schooled in the art of poetry. You can’t expect me to compete with him on poetry of all things? St Peter said you’re right Harry so in the poem must be the word “Timbucktoo”. I said “Timbucktoo, are you kidding me”!


    Not more than 10 seconds passes when Jeff says, St Peter I have mine;

    “Among life’s dying embers and all life takes us through, my heart goes back in fondness for that place called Timbucktoo!”


    I’m thinking “are you kidding me, no one can beat that”! After about 50 seconds I say ok St Peter I have mine;

    “On a hunting trip Tim and I a-went and espied three maidens in their tent, though they were three and we were two, I bucked one and Timbucktoo!”


    Harry


  • Mark

    Member
    August 21, 2017 at 7:10 pm in reply to: Electrical system Upgrades

    Jon,

    As someone who has rebuilt and updated a beautiful 1950 Ford that makes no rational sense at all, you surely understand that sometimes it doesn’t have to make financial sense to just “make sense”.

  • Mark

    Member
    August 16, 2017 at 7:45 pm in reply to: Dash Air 1999 XL Featherlite

    Thank you we will check that out.

  • Mark

    Member
    August 9, 2017 at 8:43 pm in reply to: Water Pumps

    JD,

    My water pump is “original” to the coach. I checked the serial # time frame … but it still runs great. No doubt an update I’ll do in the future.

    If possible, Post pics when you replace yours, since I’d be interested in the steps you take. Better yet, take a video of yourself and post on the video thread.

  • Mark

    Member
    August 5, 2017 at 6:47 pm in reply to: How to find size of holding tanks?

    Harry, you write the best posts!

  • Mark

    Member
    July 21, 2017 at 9:15 pm in reply to: Texas

    Chip, I’m in the middle of the DFW area and have never had to do an emission test and if I remember correctly the inspection is about $12.00. Hope this helps.

  • Mark

    Member
    July 21, 2017 at 8:24 pm in reply to: Do you use a waterless wash system on your bus?

    Harry,

    Wash Wax All is the waterless product that is used to keep the 18 plane fleet that includes the Air Force One planes. It is made in San Antonio, Tx, at the main airport.

    Call my friend Brian Phillips at 800.927.4929. Ask him about his shiny 06 Parliment XL or shiny 64 V-tail Bonanza or shiny Robertson 44 chopter or shiny pickup truck.

    Brian loves talking to RVers and can answer all of your questions. I will see him Thursday of next week. Hope to go to lunch in the chopter.

    And you should see my shiny white gelcoat plastic Foretravel coach. Just remember, if your surface needs repairing (has oxidation on it), there is no polish in Wash Wax All so the oxidation will still be there. But Polish All will remove the oxidation and Wash Wax All will keep it off. Wash Wax All cleans, waxes and UV protects the vehicle.

    Call him.

  • Mark

    Member
    July 15, 2017 at 8:39 am in reply to: Towing Tahoe

    Mark is correct The reason for battery disconnect is to prevent steering wheel lock from engaging. I have towed many different vehicles thru the years and this 2015 Tahoe is by far the most hassle when hooking and unhooking the tow. I have yet too lose any memory settings in the radio etc It apparently has an internal battery that maintains the memory. I had to have a chevy dealer reflash the transfer case software in Florida on our first trip with it.

    I believe GM used to make good stuff until Obama Motors took over!

  • Mark

    Member
    July 13, 2017 at 9:09 pm in reply to: Ohio/Michigan Route


    Yes Tom, you should be ok, US 23 joins I75 before Frankenmuth, roads are good, no restrictions/ construction at this time.

Page 10 of 11