Prevost Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Prevost Community around the world.

  • 30amp GFCI

    Posted by Michael on March 23, 2022 at 6:42 pm

    We are at a fairgrounds that installed new temporary power posts. All have 30amp GFI–protected circuits. When we plug our 50amp-to-30amp adapter into the outlet it trips the circuit breaker. Is this an issue with the bus electrical system or the fairground power post?

    Dorel replied 4 years, 6 months ago 12 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Bill

    Member
    March 23, 2022 at 7:26 pm

    You are using a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter?

  • Roscoeapproved

    Member
    March 23, 2022 at 8:35 pm

    Yes. A 50amp female to 30amp male pigtail


    Jeff and Lindsay

    91 Marathon XL
  • Chuck & Katrina

    Member
    March 23, 2022 at 8:50 pm

    Ok trying to get some of the obvious things out of the way first. You have everything turned off as to not pulling a load when you flip the breaker on the pole on? Sometimes the pole can be the issue, did you check the pole voltage?


    2000 Featherlite H3-45

    2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee

    Leesburg, FL
  • Michael

    Member
    March 23, 2022 at 10:15 pm

    No load when turning on the breaker. 120 volts at the 30 amp GFI outlet. I have frequently plugged the rig into a standard 30 amp outlet with no problem. I am wondering if the engineering behind a 30 amp GFCI breaker reacts differently with our 50 amp systems. Other Prevost owners have reported similar failures.

  • Jack

    Member
    March 23, 2022 at 10:36 pm

    Is that a Factory adapter?

  • Archived

    Member
    March 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm

    I was not aware there was a factory adaptor. I believe I purchased mine from Camping World.

  • Chuck & Katrina

    Member
    March 23, 2022 at 11:30 pm

    On my bus I have all the adapters and can plug into a 15 amp outlet. as long as my internal draw is less than my power source i am ok. Does your bus have a polarity warning light? Are you tripping the Breaker or the GFI?


    2000 Featherlite H3-45

    2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee

    Leesburg, FL
  • Michael

    Member
    March 24, 2022 at 6:51 am

    I frequently use a 50 to 30 Amp adaptor then plug into a 15 or 20 Amp plug. Having said that, I have NEVER been able to plug into a GFI circuit it always trips.

    I recently purchased a 50 to two 30 Amp Y adaptor. It had a large label on it stating it will not work if plugged into an outlet with a GFI.

    A lot of marinas are upgrading to GFI’s and most boats can not plug into them. There’s a storm a brewing on the horizon with local electrical codes requiring any changes or upgrades to systems to change to GFI’s. They are to sensitive and will not accept adaptors.

    Chuck

  • Michael

    Member
    March 24, 2022 at 8:12 am

    Try plugging your adaptor in by it’s self. The adaptor connects the two hot legs together. That is more than likely what causes the GFI to trip

  • Chuck & Katrina

    Member
    March 24, 2022 at 8:26 am

    A GFCI is likely an issue with any conversion unless there is some provision for connecting the ground before supplying power to the other legs.


    2000 Featherlite H3-45

    2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee

    Leesburg, FL
  • Chuck & Katrina

    Member
    March 24, 2022 at 9:07 am

    No polarity warning light. The GFCI is built into the circuit breaker in the main electrical panel.


    2000 Featherlite H3-45

    2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee

    Leesburg, FL
  • Art

    Member
    March 24, 2022 at 9:51 am

    I carry a regular non GFI outlet, with the host permission I remove the GFI and install the regular outlet during my stay. Works perfect. Reinstall GFI upon departure.

    Chuck

  • Michael

    Member
    March 24, 2022 at 9:56 am

    Make sure your inverter charger, shore power setting is set below 30amps I would set it at 15amps no electric heaters on, water heaters-aqua hot electric side

  • Dorel

    Member
    March 24, 2022 at 10:30 am

    Yes, that would work. Unfortunately, in this instance the GFCI is built into the circuit breaker in the main panel.

  • Davy

    Member
    March 24, 2022 at 10:34 am

    Thank you to everyone who has commented. I am convinced that our coaches are not compatible with a GFCI protected power source. As Chuck indicated, this problem may get worse as power sources are upgraded to include this safety feature.

Page 1 of 2

Log in to reply.