Prevost Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Prevost Community around the world.

  • Bill

    Member
    March 24, 2022 at 1:21 pm

    “Because GFCI devices trigger at current leakages above 5 milliamps they can cause problem for RVers that have switching type Power Converters in their RV’s. These switching type power converters usually have built in input RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) suppression filters to keep high frequency energy off of incoming wiring. During normal operation of the power converter these RFI filters will exceed 5 milliamps of current leakage causing GFCI Devices to trip.”

    When My RV Is Plugged Into a GFCI Outlet The Power Converter Is Tripping The GFCI (everything-about-rving.com)

    Sounds like carrying a non-GFI plug is the ticket.

  • Roscoeapproved

    Member
    March 24, 2022 at 3:33 pm

    I just spoke to a Prevost owner that is plugged into the 30 amp power with GFCI protection and has no problem. He indicated that Featherlite and Liberty conversions have a built-in “bonding switch”. What is a “bonding switch” and is it something that can be added to any coach?


    Jeff and Lindsay

    91 Marathon XL
  • Chuck & Katrina

    Member
    March 24, 2022 at 5:36 pm

    Michael::

    I have a Featherlite and still have had issues with trying to plug into GFI’s. When I plug in the splitter (50 Amp to 2 – 30 Amps) it trips the GFI even before I connect the coach.

    GFI’s have become my biggest nemesis. The plug I use for my golf cart at home is also on the same breaker as the sprinkler system. Unfortunately those outlets are on a GFI breaker. I was gone for over a month and came home to a lawn that was almost dead because the GFI had popped (don’t know if it was the golf cart charger or the sprinkler system). Removed the GFI 20 Amp breaker and replaced it with a non GFI 20 Amp breaker. Problem solved. Realize I am violating local code and risking shock but personally willing to take the risk. Not suggested for everyone to try.

    Chuck


    2000 Featherlite H3-45

    2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee

    Leesburg, FL
  • Archived

    Member
    March 24, 2022 at 7:34 pm

    This might want to be a question folks start asking when trying to get into a Campground. #1 do you have any open spots, #2 do you have GFI receptacles?

  • Marshall

    Member
    March 25, 2022 at 8:00 am

    Mike:

    Your spot on.

    I know on the Marina side of recreation, a lot of city codes are requiring marinas to upgrade to GFI’s when any remodeling or improvements are done, leaving boaters with no choice than to run their generators or find another marina. There are a large group of marina owners fighting these code changes (they have gone without GFI’s for years without issue’s) but not making much progress.

    Chuck

  • Brett

    Member
    March 25, 2022 at 4:49 pm

    Please clarify this for me. Do the 30a and the 20a that you are plugging into both have gfi?

  • Chad

    Member
    March 25, 2022 at 8:32 pm

    I have been searching around the internet today regarding this issue, and a lot of folks are complaining about their water heater element, or an element as the culprit to popping the Pole GFCI.


    1984 96" with 8V92TA

    (remodeled Liberty Coach)

    Greenwood, MO
Page 2 of 2

Log in to reply.