Prevost Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Prevost Community around the world.

  • 2016 Escalade Steering Lock Problem Solved ??

    Posted by Larry & Diane on November 5, 2017 at 11:48 am

    I had a tech guru from Cadillac at my house a week ago with his reader checking into the removal of fuse #38 which controls the power steering lock. He confirmed that fuse 38 ONLY controls the power steering lock and no faults were shown with that fuse removed. He said it could probably be left out since no faults were shown with it out.

    I opted to put the fuse back in and remove it for trips only…. we are going next weekend so it will be our first test… also we will not have to cut the battery off which will be nice.

    Peralko or a friend of his (can’t remember which) has done this I believe and also towed using this method and I believe he was going to report back the results… so if he has I missed it… hopefully Per will see this and chime in… thanks in advance.

    This seems almost too simple… we did put the Escalade in neutral and shut it down like we would for towing and the steering did stay unlocked.

    I will report back on our experience with this.

    Sure hope this is the real fix for a huge PIA !!

    Cheers, Diane

    Darian replied 8 years, 5 months ago 11 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Per

    Member
    November 5, 2017 at 3:44 pm

    Diane

    After reading the post by Per about removing fuse # 38 I pulled the fuse on our 2015 Tahoe in the first part of Sept. since then We have run two trips totaling about 5500 miles and no more than three days in an RV park at one time so many hook up and un hook and no problems. Just neutral the transfer case, trans in park and go. and after two years of a PIA to tow it’s great not to be aggravated I just left the fuse out.

    the last time I looked at an escalade many years ago, they were full time four wheel drive and could not be flat towed, so that has changed.

    Cheers

  • Kathy

    Member
    November 5, 2017 at 5:06 pm

    Good to know. My GM dealer was clueless and also did not care if it got figured out or not. Now we know if I ever buy another GM product that I need to tow.

  • Dan

    Member
    November 5, 2017 at 5:46 pm

    Diane,

    I’m going to try removing the fuse on our 17 Silverado. Sure would make it easier than disconnecting the batt!

    Thanks,

    Doug

  • Archived

    Member
    November 5, 2017 at 6:40 pm

    Our friend has probably 3,000 miles or so towing his 2017 Tahoe with fuse 38 removed with no problems. We are both sitting here at Jeff’s waiting on parts. We may get a Tahoe for our toad replacement, but we are leaning toward the Acadia since it is about 2,000 pounds lighter. Would have liked the new Traverse, but it is no longer towable due to the 8-speed transmission.

  • Archived

    Member
    November 5, 2017 at 7:19 pm

    owners manual shows location of this fuse and description is steering lock, located on our 2015 on left end of dash. Yes GM dealers are clueless and GM is not going to tell us how and what because of liability issues. all either one knows is what is in owners manual on flat towing and our manual is not correct, leaves out a step or two, but still a very nice tow vehicle

    Glenn

  • Tim

    Member
    November 5, 2017 at 9:48 pm

    Glenn… Yes the newer Escalades have a 4WD option which is great.. we like a bigger vehicle when we get where we’re going and the weight doesn’t bother us at all. We previously towed Suburbans which we also liked… a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Hummer H3 which were nice but just too small for us.

    Diane

  • Larry & Diane

    Member
    November 6, 2017 at 8:12 am

    We agree with the PIA every time you go to tow. Great info.

    Thank you again for sharing, this will save time and aggravation.

    Jim

  • Darian

    Member
    November 7, 2017 at 4:47 pm

    I have a 2017 Sierra 1500 Denali pickup and I am trying to figure out which fuse will delete the steering lock,it is not #38.

  • Archived

    Member
    November 7, 2017 at 5:42 pm

    Jack,

    In the Tahoe owner’s manual, the #38 fuse was listed as steering lock. You should be able to find a fuse listed with about the same nomenclature in your owner’s manual.

  • Kirby

    Member
    April 9, 2018 at 11:15 am

    Since the 2014 silverado manual says that the negative cable needs to be disconnected, I am assuming this is for the electronic ignition lock. Has anyone done the fuse removal on a 2014 GM truck with luck?

  • Dick

    Member
    April 9, 2018 at 12:16 pm

    Per, keep in mind there are a lot of Ford/Lincoln vehicles that are towable that you don’t have to pull a fuse or cable disconnects. GM offers a lot of nice looking vehicles but they just need that extra step.

    Medium size SUV’s:

    -Ford C-Max Hybrid 3,700 lbs.

    -Ford Edge 4,100 lbs.

    -Ford Explorer (has a 3rd seat option) 4,450 lbs.

    -Ford Flex (has a third seat) 4,500 lbs.

    -Lincoln MKX 4,200 lbs.

    -Lincoln MKT (has third seat) 4,700 lbs.

    Large size SUV’s:

    -Ford Expedition (short or long wheel base) 5,800 lbs.

    -Lincoln Navigator (short or long wheel base) 5,900 lbs.

    Mark

  • AL

    Member
    April 9, 2018 at 8:30 pm

    Mark,

    We wound up getting a new Escalade–Margrit has always had a soft spot for Caddies! Now we are thinking it is too nice to tow, so we are looking at a new Ram truck. Took a 2019 for a drive the other day, and it rides nicer than the Escalade, even without the air suspension. I’m waiting for the hybrid version, which won’t be out for a while. Margrit’s son really wants to buy our 2008 Tundra, so we need a truck anyway. That’s our story, and we will stick to it!

  • Archived

    Member
    April 10, 2018 at 12:14 pm

    Go Diesel you can fill up at the same island and use your Love’s discount card.

  • Chad

    Member
    April 10, 2018 at 1:41 pm

    We were planning to get the Ram with the small diesel, but the cost of diesel fuel negates the increased fuel mileage, and the initial cost of the diesel engine is twice that of the hybrid. Additionally, you have the mess with the DEF. Also, the larger diameter fuel dispenser at the truck islands probably don’t fit the no-cap fuel filler opening.


    1984 96" with 8V92TA

    (remodeled Liberty Coach)

    Greenwood, MO
  • Archived

    Member
    April 10, 2018 at 9:04 pm

    Per,

    Congrats on the Caddy! Those are nice vehicles! I’ve seen Larry and Diane’s Escalade and it’s BIG! I wasn’t sure if they were pulling the Liberty with it or the other way around!

    (Diane, just wanted you to know that I’m kid’n with ya for buying the extended chassis Caddy)..

    My brother has a ’16 Ram with the Cummins that he pulls his 5th wheel, 32.5 ft. Nice truck!

    Safe travels!
    Mark

Page 1 of 2

Log in to reply.