-
Wiring Diagram – lighting – XL45 [1996-1997]
Posted by Michael on May 11, 2014 at 7:14 pmFriends on the Forum,
I am looking for some guidance from the group, (and/or correct wiring diagrams) for help in tracing an electrical problem on my 1997 Prevost XL45 CC, which does have the “standard” Prevost dash guages.
The dash gauge lights are not working, and I am trying to track down whether it is rheostat related or something else… [This coach does have the two rheostats to driver’s left that are supposed to control gauge and panel back-lighting.]
I’ve checked that grounds are good, but am not getting power to the rheostats or gauges at all.
Anyone have any advice or experience with this issue?
Thanks!
Mike
Archived replied 12 years, 4 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies -
12 Replies
-
Have you been to the Prevost site’s technical publications site? Once there click on electrical drawings and then select model and enter your abbreviated VIN.
You may discover you have to guess which drawing as the description is not always inclusive of all systems on a drawing.
You aren’t getting voltage to the dimmer rheostat, so the problem is power and not ground. The breaker should be in the panel just outside the driver’s position. There’s likely an activation relay as well or simply power being supplied from the the headlight switch. Without looking at your diagram, these are just guesses.
-
You can search the Prevost Technical Publications website via this link. Hint: Put ONLY your VIN number in the box and hit the search button. Filling too much info confuses the search engine of the website. I suspect it is in Drawing Number D060874 if you have an XL-45 M5 (motorhome 45ft conversion shell).
http://prevostparts.volvo.com/technicalpublications/en/wiring.asp
Just to verify:
— You have the standard VDO gauges, but did Country Coach replace the standard dash switches for their tri-color EAO industrial rectangular switches? If so, the Prevost wiring diagram will get you started, but Country “interrupted” the normal circuit and routed the wiring through a circuit board in the steering gear compartment (where your washer bottle is located) to utilize their very low current industrial switching. I suspect a bad component on this circuit board (power transistor with large heat sink) on the board. Miles Circo can further help if you get in touch with him. I can diagnose and repair if I had the coach, but have no wiring diagrams of this to provide you.
-
You are correct:
Standard gauges, but the headlight and marker switches are the CC tri-color buttons.
(And, I did find the drawings, but wiring in diagrams not matching what is actually in the coach.)
Suggestions on diagnosing the board/component failure? (If I’m not using the coach for a week or two, should I pull the board and ship it somewhere for repair?)
How might I reach Miles Ciro to request his help?
Thanks!!!
-
Pull your headlight switch and see if any wires are loose. Chances are the power is comming from the switch or there will be a wire #34 which serves as a feed to a relaly that powers all the accessories. The 34 wire will go down to the steer compartment.
Just a gues.
-
His email address is: mcirco@hughes.net
He is the one that bought all the Country Coach PREVOST- only documentation and spare parts/boards from the bankruptcy judge when they were liquidating the company.
-
Regretably, Charlie, that is not it. No loose wires (and, unfortunately, not even a #34 in the bundle there!]. I think this is going to be a Country Coach PC board issue…
Thanks for the suggestion, though.
-
Should perhaps have included these photos before:
The first two are the headlight and marker switches (front and back).

The second pair are the two rheostats (front and back).

No loose wires found, no circuit breakers popped.
-
If you have the ECC cabinet in the first bay with all the cards in it similar to the one you show in you pics look on the cards in that cabinet.
Everything CC goes througe those cards and they have fuses on them.
I have a 98 so there could be some differences. I also have a regular headlight switch but for the other lights I have the SunMullion switches like you have.
Good luck.


-
I’m not sure why CC would have modified lighting to the Prevost gauges, but your dimmer does show CC labelling on the wires. If I was to guess, CC ran those through their dimmer circuit board. That board on my coach was mounted behind the glass dash where your speedometer is likely located.
The board located in the steering bay supplies 5V for the dash Sunmulon switches. This power board is unique as it dims the front switches when you turn the lights on. The switches elsewhere in the coach get their 5V for lighting from the ECC in bay 1.
-
Thanks to all who have responded so far. Unfortunately, I seem unable to trace the wiring from the dash to the appropriate circuit board that evidently is the culprit.
There is no circuit board in the dash itself (that I can find). All of the fuses to the multitude of PC Boards in the front belly are intact, green LEDs lit up, and I cannot determine which of the ~20 boards there is the one that would affect dash instrument lighting!
Any more guidance, or do I just need to drop back 10 and punt (to a service shop that does Country Coaches of this vintage)?
Thanks!
-
I still don’t believe you will find the dimmer board in the ECC. It should be mounted behind or very near the dash. Although yours may be different, here’s what mine looks like.

-
Have you tried a call to CC? Last year they were able to find the information on my coach 40469. I was told that although the Trustee had destroyed many documents and history it seemed to be without rhyme or reason. CC was trying to get the documents that were saved organized and although it took several days my documents were located. The Techs were very helpful and did all they could for me. It may at least get you some useful help.
Log in to reply.