Prevost Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Prevost Community around the world.

  • Marinco 28220 Charger

    Posted by Allan on September 16, 2017 at 1:40 pm

    I purchased a Marinco 28220 charger to replace the original 24v charger which is mounted on the ceiling above the chassis batteries. The Marinco charger manual states mounting the Unit in a vertical position. Has anyone had issues mounting this charger on the ceiling?



    joel replied 9 years ago 17 Members · 27 Replies
  • 27 Replies
  • Ron

    Member
    September 18, 2017 at 8:17 am

    Humm,

    There were several responses to this thread last night. Now they are all gone. Did the thread go to the twilight zone ?

    BSafe,

    Rocky

  • Archived

    Member
    September 18, 2017 at 8:38 am

    It’s not pretty, but it’s all here… Sorry for the screw up.

  • Dick

    Member
    September 18, 2017 at 8:42 am

    Tom,

    I seen that it had merged in with the Level-low thread after I made that post. Stuff happens . Take care of Your Home first. I bet You have a big honey do list after the storm. We appreciate all You guys do.

    BSafe,

    Rocky

  • Will

    Member
    September 18, 2017 at 11:45 am
    9/16/2017 Jon
    Dup

    Allan,

    For what it is worth I think the Guest charger was its predecessor and my Guest charger is ceiling mounted. But having said that I looked a little at the charger and while I have no clue what I am talking about I would abide by their instruction because they likely have a reason.

    All is not lost for you however. Your air cleaner housing would be a good place to mount it. Since the air cleaner housing is curved you need some standoffs to compensate for the curvature but that could be some short lengths of small diameter tubing or anything behind the holes to fill the gap. Just make sure the fasteners do not interfere with the inside of the housing to impact the filter.

    The specs say it is protected against vibration and that might be why it has a specific orientation.

    Jon and Di 2006 Liberty Elegant Lady 2005 H2 Hummer, 1950 Ford
    Knoxville, TN

    Owner of three Liberty Coaches since 1990

  • Andy

    Member
    September 18, 2017 at 11:46 am

    9/17/2017 Dick in Wisconsin
    Dup

    Allan thinks enough of me to have reached out privately on this issue. Thanks for the confidence you have in me. I’ll paraphrase what I told me about what I did.

    I had the 1999 Liberty installed boat anchor charger (probably the best money could at the time, after all Liberty used it). Jeff Rowe warned me about leaving it on for any length of time as it would boil the batteries. I had a dead battery problem, tried to use the boat anchor to charge them, but nothing. So Jeff and I thought it was the boat anchor, so I removed it, tried to set it, welded some of my tools together, and I decided to abandon it. Turns out (after ten days of screwing around) we had a dead cell in a five month old Interstate that Interstate replaced under warranty

    Bought the then (2014) biggest Marinco/Guest charger I could find. Would charge 12 and 24 volts as I recall. Couldn’t find a clear “mount on the ceiling of the engine bay without any problems whatsoever”, so I had a welder fab up an overbuilt bracket for the charger that I mounted to the chassis an inch or so aft of the chassis battery box.

    The wiring diagram in the distructions had did NOT address a Prevost four battery 12/24 volt array. Someone on the forum provided me with this schizmatic that I used:

    It made sense to me. So I used it. I tested the charger after the install and it appeared to work. I inadvertently drained down the chassis batteries once, turned the breaker on for the “24 volt Charger” that Liberty has conveniently installed on the electrical panel in the coach, and it worked. No smoking, no burnt elecrical smell, no melted insulation yet, no deformed battery cases. Now the big questions is does Allan have a charger exactly like the one in the diagram!

    If Liberty or Prevost Service monitors posts to the PC Forum, either or both (or even Ben Cummings!), they are encouraged to comment (1) of the most appropriate chassis battery chargers for our coachs and (2) the best wiring diagram. I wonder who will comment first.

    Dick & Cathie Karth
    1998 Prevost XLV Chassis
    1999 Liberty Elegant Lady #405
    2011 Chevy HHR Toad
    Grafton, Wisconsin

    Owner of one Prevost since 2014 … tries not to make things up

  • Archived

    Member
    September 18, 2017 at 11:46 am

    9/17/2017 lonestarace
    Dup

    Here’s where my Marinco Quest ProCharger is vertically mounted.

    Don
    FOR SALE-Our 96 Prevost Liberty 40 XL Classic
    Can Be Seen at:
    http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/rvd/6281231122.html
  • Robert

    Member
    September 18, 2017 at 11:47 am

    9/17/2017 TrigGuy
    Dup

    For whatever it is worth, I bought a NOCO Gen 4 marine battery charger a year ago and it charges each battery independently (10 A charger per battery) I have been very pleased and it is plugged in all of the time while in storage. What I really like about it is that it gives you the state of each battery with either a red or green LED lit. Red if it is charging and Green if it is in float.

    You do have to remember to disconnect it when starting the engine becasue the alternator can admage the charger as they compete to charge the batteries. If a battery is constantly going into red it is probably a bad battery and makes it easy to identify the bad battery. I installed it on the back wall of the last (little) bay that has the door release inside the passenger side engine access door so it takes up almost no space. It has a three year warranty, made in the USA and so far so good.

    Andy and Jill
    1999 Country Coach XL 45
    2012 CRV
    Brighton, MI
  • Andy

    Member
    September 18, 2017 at 11:47 am

    9/18/2017 Jon
    Dup

    Andy,

    If you have to have a chassis battery charger on all the time you have a problem.

    Jon and Di 2006 Liberty Elegant Lady 2005 H2 Hummer, 1950 Ford
    Knoxville, TN

    Owner of three Liberty Coaches since 1990

  • Gerald

    Member
    September 18, 2017 at 2:03 pm


    Jon, not all of the time, just while in storage and with both the 12v dc and 24v dc disconnects open.

    Andy

  • Archived

    Member
    September 18, 2017 at 2:57 pm

    If you have to do that something is wrong or you have bad batteries. Not trying to break your chops, but to point out a coach with good chassis batteries does not need to have a charger hooked up unless there are unknown phantom loads somebody put on the coach or you are trying to squeeze every last drop of power out of aged batteries or one of your batteries has a problem and is sucking power from the others.

  • Dorel

    Member
    September 18, 2017 at 7:20 pm

    Jon, the reason I bought the charger was because last year I had batteries that were 5 years old and I stored the coach in a very large heated storage facility where cars, boats, RV’s etc were packed in like sardines. If I went to take my coach out for a ride I wanted to make sure that it started and if it did not I wanted to make sure that I could identify the bad battery quickly. Before starting the coach I would first check to make sure that all 4 of the chargers had a green light lit which meant that the batteries were probably good to go. If one was red I would wait a bit to make sure that it was not just a temporary thing. If the coach did not start I would be able to look at the charger to determine which battery was the difficult one to charge. I can then remove that battery and replace it withoiut having to reconnect each battery and load test each individually.

    You are correct, if you have good batteries and no phantom loads then you would not need to charge them continuously for several months. However, I already own the charger and feel that I can keep the batteries in tip top condition knowing that lead acid batteries like to be kept fully charged. If someday a battery starts to show signs of aging especially prematurely (thinking less than 5 years) becasue the battery is refusing to take a charge I can quickly identify it and remedy the situation quickly. There have been several posts on this site that have had chassis battery issues and have had to go through and load test all four batteries to determine which one, if any, is at fault so this does offer some peace of mind.

  • John

    Member
    September 18, 2017 at 7:31 pm

    Here is the charger installed.

  • Archived

    Member
    September 18, 2017 at 8:27 pm

    Andy, tried to contact you, pls send email to my hot link..thx…

  • Andre

    Member
    September 19, 2017 at 7:36 am

    Dorel, I just sent you a PM to your AOL email with my mobile number.

    Andy

  • Dick

    Member
    September 19, 2017 at 10:58 am

    Remember, however, that if you park somewhere and use the coach, and it has keyless entry, you are discharging the batteries some everything you come and go from your coach. So the Guest/Marinco battery chargers are a good idea to keep them from going dead on you.

Page 1 of 2

Log in to reply.