Prevost Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Prevost Community around the world.

  • Marathon Trace 4024 Inverter settings

    Posted by Glenn on June 19, 2014 at 1:17 pm

    Not sure if my settings in my inverters are correct so I was hoping someone could give me some advice who has a similar vintage. Marathon or Trace setup.

    1.) If I do a factory default reset on the inverters does that set them back to the spec Marathon had them when they left the factory or to some spec that Trace used as a default?

    2.) I have the Trace manual and understand how to get into the additional user settings, I am curious if I should adjust the auto gen start to a higher battery voltage/time limit, what my charge amps should be set at, and any other optimal tweaks.

    3.) Do I understand correctly that only 1 inverter needs to have the Gen setting i.e. Gen set to Auto ?

    4.) I am doing a lot of driving so batteries getting charged all day then dry camp at night, My batteries are just over 3 years old, receipt says all 6 were new AGM 8A4D/T975 (not sure name brand) What kind of voltages on these should I be seeing after sitting overnight with just light loads like the fridge, a few lights and whatever phantom loads from stuff?

    Thanks for any advice!

    Archived replied 12 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Larry & Diane

    Member
    June 19, 2014 at 5:27 pm

    G-man,

    I can only help you on the auto gen question… yes you only want to have one inverter set to auto gen on. As it was explaned to me having them both on could cause one to turn it on and the other to turn it off. I was also told on my PDI that if I am running down the road and have the Geny on… that I should also turn auto gen off.

    My sense on the factory reset is that it goes to the Trace factory reset not the Marathon one.. but that is just a guess on that one…

    Hope that helps!

    Bill

  • Archived

    Member
    June 19, 2014 at 5:32 pm

    Just a general comment and this is my opinion only……..I would never set the coach so the auto start is engaged as a matter of practice. If I feel the auto start might be beneficial I want to manually set it, and then when I head down the road I want it off as the default setting.

    There may come a time when you forget it is on, have the coach somewhere where the running of the generator is not advised and you could get in trouble. One example would be to store the coach, plugged into power. Power gets interrupted and the generator starts inside the building. There have been instances where the diesel fumes have damaged the coach interior with sooting and odors.

  • Larry

    Member
    June 19, 2014 at 10:29 pm

    We see about 25V after a night of boondocking just running the fridge, AV systems and lights. I run the generator two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening when I’m boondocking for extended periods. This has worked well for us.

  • Jim/Chris

    Member
    June 20, 2014 at 4:14 pm

    For reference, the version mc2.2 actually originally meant Marathon Coach, or that is the rumor lol.

    The MC2.2 settings are those that Marathon, the largest and closest converter to use the SW-series inverters, had Trace Engineering set in the chip. As long as the temperature sensors are both functioning properly, the factory default settings in the inverters will serve you well.

    It is my personal suggestion that you always leave one inverter in Set Generator: Auto at all times except when maintenance is being performed or you put it inside a building, and always maintain as full a tank of fuel as possible when you get to your destination. This will prevent the batteries from ever becoming overdischarged and ruining them.

    When putting your coach inside a building (if you keep it in a garage or “barn” etc) there are several things you will need to do, such as turn off your In-motion satellite dish, put your Inverter Auto-start to Off, turn off your diesel (12v) heater webasto unit, and a few other things I’m probably forgetting at this moment on a friday afternoon, haha, so I STRONGLY recommend you make yourself a checklist sheet for the things that need done when indoors.

    Hope this helps.

  • Archived

    Member
    June 20, 2014 at 5:51 pm

    Ben,

    With the Marathon 4024’s does each inverter handle 3 of the 4D house batteries? In other word, 3 for inverter 1 and 3 for inverter 2, or all 6 each.

  • Archived

    Member
    July 8, 2014 at 3:00 pm

    Sorry for the delay in response, as i was on vacation last week and was gone.

    The battery “bank” is connected equally to each inverter. Each group of 3 are in parallel, and the two groups of 3 are in series together, making up 24volts total across the entire bank. They are not split up as 3 for each inverter as some coaches were back in the early ’90s.

Log in to reply.