Prevost Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Prevost Community around the world.

  • How far do I go with this? etc. 1989 XL CC 8v92TA

    Posted by Rick on April 14, 2021 at 10:33 am

    I have been slowly losing coolant over the past year. This winter, while parked I have noticed a dramatic increase. Pulled oil drain plug and sure enough, it is in the oil. Retrieved approximately 1/2 gallon of coolant from oil pan. Engine has 236k miles on it. Some say I should just find the leak and fix it, roll-in new main bearings and rod bearings and move on. I am not so sure about that. With the effort required to pull the heads, it seems to me that I might as well go ahead and pull the whole engine and do a complete overhaul. It is 32 years old now.

    So, how far should I go? Anyone ever slid out an 8v92? I have a cart available to me that is made for rolling the engine out. I can roll it right into my garage from the bus. Anyone done a complete out-of-frame overhaul on one of these? How difficult is it? Any recommendations? Insight?

    This is a DDECII engine and runs fine, just found the coolant issue.

    Thanks,

    Rick

    Bill replied 3 years, 11 months ago 32 Members · 54 Replies
  • 54 Replies
  • Archived

    Member
    April 14, 2021 at 11:39 am

    I don’t have current pricing but I had my engine overhauled including labor it was about 30K 5 yeas ago. I have also had coolant in the oil and it was caused by cracked heads they were replaced along with 2 pistons & sleeves along with bearings and it was a little over 12K. of course all that work was done at a shop the overhaul was removed and replaced and the heads were in frame. If any of this helps.

  • Roscoeapproved

    Member
    April 14, 2021 at 1:09 pm

    You can do an extensive overhaul without moving the engine. I too had a cracked head and despite finding it when the first head was removed we went ahead and did an overhaul. Bearings, heads, rings, etc.

    The extent of the work is going to be dependent on how long you intend to own the coach. I can tell you more money will remain in your pocket if you overhaul the engine.


    Jeff and Lindsay

    91 Marathon XL
  • mark

    Member
    April 14, 2021 at 1:53 pm

    Ouch!!

    Where are you located? Its possible you can find an experienced two stroke Detroit Diesel mechanic who recently retired and is open to doing jobs like yours.

    Another option is American Fleet in Springfield, Missouri. (417) 865-4420 They have quite a bit of experience with both two and four stroke Detroit Diesels.

  • Dick

    Member
    April 14, 2021 at 5:14 pm
  • John

    Member
    April 14, 2021 at 6:49 pm

    Call American Fleet listed above. If you are anywhere near there, go there after talking to them. If you are handy enough to swap out an engine, they will build an engine for you based upon your serial number and deliver it to you ready to install. I guess you ship your old one back for the core credit but it’s 1/2 the price of an in-frame rebuilt and it’s factory perfect.

    We had them put a new engine in our ’88 but we went to them. We arrived, they pulled the engine and the new engine was sitting there waiting on us. 2 days later we were on the road again.

    Great folks!

  • John

    Member
    April 15, 2021 at 4:11 pm

    I had the same issue come up on mine at about 300,000 miles. had an appointment to do an in-frame overhaul but my so decided she wanted a 45 footer.

    I dumped in the radiator stop leak that looks like ground up aluminum powder and sold the coach as-is with full disclosure. Last time I spoke with the buyer, he had had engine tested but nobody could find a leak and he was approaching 500,000 miles.

  • Archived

    Member
    April 16, 2021 at 9:56 am

    Just got a quote from American Fleet. They want $19,500 for remanufactured engine. In my world, that is a significant sum of money, but then again, I would have a ‘new’ engine. I know I can get it out and another in. If I can get it on a rack I am pretty sure I can do the rebuild. What is my time worth, though? Either way, it is a significant investment. Still not sure what to do. Thank you for your replies.

  • Art

    Member
    April 16, 2021 at 11:51 am

    Detroit is proud of their engine parts. On the other hand some imported replacement parts may be cheap, but on vintage bus forums there is a general mistrust of the quality.

    That puts you between a rock and a hard place because if you check prices for parts needed to major the engine from Detroit I bet they come close to the American Fleet price. If that is in fact the case and you do buy all that is needed including complete heads and those prices equal the American Fleet price it suggests that rebuild may not be all Detroit parts.

    I would begin the decision making process by getting prices and than asking hard questions about which parts are OEM and which are sourced offshore.

  • glen

    Member
    April 16, 2021 at 1:24 pm

    Rick you have a tough decision ahead of you.

    Does American Fleet offer a warranty? If so, how much?

    Where does AF get their parts from? Who made the parts? Top shelf parts?

    How much does AF want to pull your defective engine and install the new one? You’re about 11 hours from Springfield MO. You have to ship the core and the new one in both directions. Having AF do the pull and install gives them an opportunity to “test” everything. If there is a problem, its ALL their problem.

    I spent around $8,000 or so to recore our radiator and replace the fan clutch a year ago in Texas. I don’t this added anything to the real value of our 1999 coach, unless we discover that most coaches need to have their radiators replaced after 20 years. Tough to swallow, but as the cliche’ goes … it is what it is.

    Your case is different. The value of your coach should increase after the reman engine is put in; kinda similar to an airplane. An increase of $19,000 plus install? Probably not. But I think a good share of it considering the miles you have on the coach now.

    Good luck with your decision making!

  • al

    Member
    April 16, 2021 at 4:21 pm

    I’m not sure I agree with Dick.

    While there may be a buyer who places a value on a coach with a fresh engine, the market is a cruel place that tends to place values based on model year and possibly some features such as slides, but only seems to give a slight nod to exceptional maintenance or a long list of expensive replacements.

    My cynicism suggests a lot of uneducated buyers are more swayed by tire dressing rather than an invisible strong maintenance history.

  • j

    Member
    April 19, 2021 at 10:37 am

    Sorry, just saw this.

    I had the same issue a few years ago – and it only cost me a couple thousand to fix. Local Mennonite shop in Lancaster who ONLY do DD (old school shop) was able to pull heads in-place, remove oil pan, pressurize the coolant system, and look from underneath. My kits were fine, and the issue was O-rings that were easily changed. (shrunk with age)

    I was a little worried that the coolant in the oil affected the bearings (my oil tests were coming back with copper) so while the pan was off, I had them change the crank bearings – also pretty cheap.

    Feel free to PM me.

    P.S., my coach is maintained by Elite (a small bus company with tons of 8V92 experience) and they pull a bunch of engines every winter to repair frame rust so practice is key to labor hours. They would have pulled my engine and given me a warranty – but recommended the small shop (no warranty) because of their skill at frame-on work and much lower labor rate. Risk/reward worth it. IMHO it makes a HUGE difference you find someone who smiles nostalgically when they see the 8V92 and is excited to do the work.

  • Archived

    Member
    April 19, 2021 at 12:54 pm

    Liam, great find! PM sent. John

  • Art

    Member
    April 19, 2021 at 8:13 pm

    Liam,

    Ditti “great find”. PM sent.

  • Jeff

    Member
    June 30, 2021 at 9:32 am

    This is what I ended up doing. I pulled the engine and transmission and have it torn down for a complete overhaul in my garage. I borrowed a cart that was specifically made for the Prevost 8v92 to sit on and roll out the back. (pretty slick) I have a lot of time in it, but I have already learned a tremendous amount.

    This has allowed me to go through the engine soup to nuts. I am rebuilding power steering pump, air compressor, replacing some of the air and fuel lines. I am also at the same time converting the R12 air conditioners to R134a. All A/C hoses and both compressors and associated pressure and temperature sensors are being replaced. Heads have been sent out for rebuild with new springs. Injectors will get checked out and refurbished as needed. Bearings, sleeves, pistons, gaskets, etc. all replaced. Front and rear main seals replaced. Turbo and blower will be inspected and gaskets replaced. Oil pressure regulator will get new spring and added washer to raise oil pressure at idle. Everything to get new paint. Radiator is coming out to get cleaned and pressure tested. Transmission inspected.

    A couple of questions for you guys…

    What else should I do while I have the engine and transmission out?

    Have I lost my mind?

    Any opinions on FP Diesel (Federal Mogul) vs. Interstate McBee vs. Detroit Diesel branded parts?

    Have I lost my mind?

    Do you know the paint color of the grey that the engine compartment is painted?

  • Jeff

    Member
    June 30, 2021 at 1:04 pm

    In terms of “losing your mind” as the expression goes – we all had a “head start” when we bought our coaches!!!

    I would love to see pictures of the special cart and engine on it.

    Elite pulls a lot of engines every winter to repair frame rust on the rear clip – so if applicable, that would be a to-do.

    On the Freon change – Prevost Montreal told me that every hose (including the ones running through the house) must be changed as the new gas deteriorated mine and clogged the system) Not sure relative to your year

    I upgraded my fuel separator lid with the optional pressure gauge top so I could keep an eye out for clogs. But in researching, I saw a “how far should I go” item. They make a dual separator rig with a switch for boats. If you get a bad batch of fuel and are dead on the road (happened to me coming back from Canada) you just turn the knob and can keep going on the second filter.

    Am envious of your work!

Page 1 of 4

Log in to reply.