Prevost Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Prevost Community around the world.

  • Cruise Airs – 2000 Marathon – Help

    Posted by Dorel on April 15, 2018 at 9:51 am

    All (4) units worked fine on shore power or GEN power…

    Couple weeks back while on shore power, the A/C Salon start making a click noise while running, every minute or so.

    Power usage in the coach, normal, just the fridge running, no micro or water heaters, when started AC’S inverter one tripped, error out, Salon AC stopped working. All others working, no issues.

    Reset the inverter, start the Salon AC again – inverter error out.

    Reset the inverter – started GEN – ALL AC’s working, including the Salon – the click noise returned but AC working.

    Switched to Shore Power, Salon AC stopped / inverter error out.

    Started Salon AC on fan only, it works…so for now Salon AC, its just re-circulating the air in the coach, while the other 3 AC’s are working.

    DATA – Shore (grid)power incoming to the inverters :

    – 122V – to Inverter one…inverting at 125V

    – 119V – to inveerter two …inveting at 119V

    – 60Hz on both

    – batteries on Float 26.3V – 26.5V

    Possibilities?

    Salon AC Compresor going “south” drawing too many amps trying to start and “trips” the inverter?

    All AC’s working on GEN power, should be similar as Shore power?

    Appreciate PC input / help!

    Thanks.

    AL replied 8 years, 5 months ago 11 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Doug

    Member
    April 15, 2018 at 11:30 am

    Dorel,

    You cannot run 4 cruise airs on Shore power. Same as trying to run 4 roof airs on shore power.

    Generater you can do as you please. You can get away with it sometimes but not for long.

    Later

    bv

  • Harry

    Member
    April 15, 2018 at 12:07 pm

    Bernie, thx…I shut everything down just left the Salon on…it trips the inverter…works on fan only with the other ac’s working

  • AL

    Member
    April 15, 2018 at 1:32 pm

    Starting the cruise airs 1 at a time, I can run all 4 on shore power

  • Gerald

    Member
    April 15, 2018 at 2:47 pm

    Ok, I will try that, thx

  • Greg

    Member
    April 15, 2018 at 3:07 pm

    Dorel,

    I don’t understand why you would do that. Why tax your system to overload.

    A Featherlite is wired different and it all depends what items are wired to each inverter to determine what kind of load it can carry when you turn them on.

    Where do you guys go in this country that you need to run 4 cruise airs or 4 roof airs parked on shore power. Granted the swamp climate is taxing to cooling a bus but I have never ever had to run 4 roof airs in the desert to keep a bus at 71 degrees.

    Jerry, are your condenser’s for the basement cruise airs on the bus roof in the rear?

    Later

    bv

  • Archived

    Member
    April 15, 2018 at 3:23 pm

    I also run all four Cruise-Airs on shore power (it does pull a ton of amps though). We bought our 1999 Liberty in 2014. I notice that when a Cruise Air is “turned on”, like when I plug into shore power and they all want to start at once, there is a different delayed start built into all four of them. They don’t all start at once, you can see the timers counting down on the SMX control readouts.

    I have tried to make a habit of turning off the CA’s and turning off their individual breakers before I unhook the shore power (or hook it up). After plugging into shore power and turning on the shore power breaker, the Cruise Airs should be off. Then I’ll turn on their respective breakers on the coach panel and finally turn on the CAs at their respective SMX panels. Then they start counting down and start at different times so that they don’t all drawn the high startup amp load at one time.

    I suspect that the delayed start is something that can be programmed into the SMX control panels, but I haven’t investigated it.

  • Ed

    Member
    April 15, 2018 at 6:58 pm

    Bernie,

    No, 2 are behind the front bumper, and the other 2 are in Bay 3.

    A friend of mine has a Vantare with 2 condensers on the roof in the rear, but they don’t seem to cool any better than mine. He always has problems with them.

  • Dick

    Member
    April 16, 2018 at 8:57 am

    Odds are you have a compressor going, my salon runs the fan but I can hear the compressor try to kick in and see the amps go sky high as it tries to start.

    As an aside, anybody know of somewhere halfway close to SW Iowa who does work on CruiseAirs. We’re a long days drive from Marathon Dallas and a day and a half from Jeff’s. I know juuussst enough to be dangerous and need a pro to fix it.

  • Rocky And Tonya

    Member
    April 16, 2018 at 12:03 pm

    Dan: According to what Geo Prentice told me a year or more ago, Hanna Trailer Sales in Oak Creek (which is just south of the Milwaukee Airport between Milwaukee and Racine) has a technician who has experience on CAs. As I recall, Geo said he worked for Burger Yachts in Manitowoc. All I know is that Geo mentioned him as a possible resource for CA issues versus a trip to Vonore. Keep in mind that sometimes the yachting/boat CA guys won’t work on the air to air CAs, only the water to air CAs. I would recommend reaching out to Geo first. Maybe Geo will comment on this.

  • Deleted User

    Deleted User
    April 16, 2018 at 12:04 pm

    Could it be Possible that You might have a capacitor going bad in that unit. They have 2 , One is a start capacitor and the other is a run capacitor. Mine for My Aft CA were a royal PIA to change with them being placed behind the entertainment center.

  • AL

    Member
    April 16, 2018 at 8:13 pm

    Dorel,

    Have you checked the breaker on the front of the inverter?

Log in to reply.