-
Burning Man 2022
Posted by Archived on February 12, 2022 at 9:25 amLooking to see if there are any folks out there thinking about attending Burning man this year?
Archived replied 4 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies -
7 Replies
-
For Real?
Come on A1 grab the tricycle and put on the G string.
In 2014 a guy in S CA who owned a Limo company bought a couple Marathon XLII’s 2008 and a 04 if I remember right. He rented them to 6 English chaps wanting to go to Burning Man. 3 guys in a bus and they paid a premium to not have a driver and were cleared to take them out. In my mind I don’t know how that’s possible but I’m sure money was a deciding factor. Each bus was over 40k for the week plus everything had an accessorial charge.
The buses were dropped in Beaumont, CA after the long party at my friends yard and when they came in the next day it was ugly. The inverters and generator would not operate because the fans pulled in so much sand the roof airs wouldn’t run crestron was inoperative and the motor air cleaner had a puddle of sand in the housing. Toilets and tanks were full (you get the idea).
But the thing about Burning Man is everything you bring in you take out. The bays were stuffed with garbage and the walkway thru the middle had stacked bags of trash, I’m sure others thought this would be a nice disposal area.
After this experience the owner realized he was 50k in the hole and the buses were never right again.
A cruise air or basement air system wouldn’t stand a chance. I would drive there in a pickup truck and pitch a tent and make fast friends with somebody. Everything works on a barter system so a couple of nickel bags would go a long way back then.
Later
bv
-
OMG Bernie, what a horrible story. I have been there 3 times, 2010, 2012, and 2015 by way of both RV and Tenting. By Far the better experience is using an RV. My first time, I had no idea what to expect, or how to properly plan for this and I learned a lot. Planning Planning and more Planning will assure you have a good time and enjoy your experience. One of the major changes I made after my first Visit was to enter and Exit the Event mid week. The event starts on Aug 28th this year, I will arrive on the 30th. The event ends on the 5th, I will leave on Saturday the 3rd. This eliminates a bunch of issues like traffic, where to setup camp, etc etc. It is a lot of fun.
-
Mike,
Do you have a camp; or are you rolling solo?
We took the rig to the playa in 2014 and camped across from Distrct.
It was fantastic to be clean and comfortable EVERY DAY.
Having 200 gal of fresh water and enough diesel to run the cruisairs non stop was a dream.
We wont make it this year…unless it’s a last minute thing.
Enjoy!
-
Bob, I am staying on the outskirts this year, maybe 7:30 or so. Glad to find a fellow Burner on here.
-
Janet and I would LOVE to go. It’s absolutely a bucket list item and sooner than later sounds good. We would only go if we could hook up with an experienced “burner” who could help guide us through the intricacies of this completely unique event. Even the ticket pricing has us confused. $2500 each or $450 each or some kind of lottery. Not sure. Having roof airs will take care of the dust issues and careful monitoring of the generator intake would be easy. You can run your generator, right? Not sure what to bring to barter or if barter is required if I bring plenty of supplies for the 2 of us.
If you lose track of me, I will be the really old guy wearing little or nothing painted like a Zebra.
-
Bill, If you are adventurous, it is for sure a bucket list item, Regarding tickets, You want to get in to the initial Lottery to get an early ticket, that requires you to have a burner profile and account all setup and ready when the tickets go live. Same process every year. Last time I was there was like 4500 each ticket. The ticket price covers the entire event, even if you only stay a few days like me. There is a nice truck wash, i run my RV’s thru on the way out in Fernley that does a nice initial cleaning of the outside.
-
The last time I was at BM was in 1998 in my first conversion 1969 4107. I’m pretty sure if you could find that bus today you could still find dust or sand in it. If you value your bus take a travel trailer instead.
Log in to reply.