Prevost Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Prevost Community around the world.

  • Allison B500 fluid change?

    Posted by Art on June 24, 2024 at 9:58 am

    Had the trans fluid Analyzed and it was in the normal range. When I bought bus I took it to a Detroit shop and had Valves adjusted trans serviced and a couple of other things checked. That is the only time it has spent in a shop,I do all my own repairs,Here is oil report on B500 Allison, But I thought I might change fluid anyways, I have never done that before.On my service invoice it says 6.500 of ALL27101-CTDR TransyndATF, That was in early 2017 shop has gone away so I can’t ask them. To change fluid what is procedure for changing fluid and filters and how much fluid is needed?

    DON replied 2 years, 2 months ago 9 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • DON

    Member
    June 26, 2024 at 9:32 am

    When I change mine it only takes between 7 and 8 gallons. The filters sit on the plates with 6 bolts (I think there are 6) and they are the short filters. Assuming you are not in a hurry, after you drain the old fluid, drop the filters and just buy the same size replacements.

    I measure the oil I removed and refill with the same amount. Checking fluid level with the dipstick is pretty much a useless exercise so after the change is complete I drive it to warm it up and use the touchpad to verify the fluid level is correct. Press the 2 arrows at the same time to enter the fluid level check.

    Whatever you do make certain you do not over torque the filter bolts.

  • Dean

    Member
    June 27, 2024 at 9:22 am

    Thanks Jon! What is the torque on filter bolts? I’m sure I can find it on the Internet

  • Clay

    Member
    June 27, 2024 at 9:28 am

    There is a torque value, but I cannot remember where I read it. It might be with the filters which is why I can’t find it.

    The purpose of that value is to prevent stripping the threads on the aluminum transmission case.

  • Art

    Member
    June 27, 2024 at 11:09 am

    allison brand replacement filter kit comes with instructions inside which states: 38-45 ft Lbs.

  • Art

    Member
    June 27, 2024 at 7:24 pm

    Don’t know if it is a long filter or a short Filter??

  • needtocamp

    Member
    June 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm

    shallow 2″ sump, filters are 4″ long

    Allison old kit# 29548987, new kit# 29558117

  • Chuck & Katrina

    Member
    June 28, 2024 at 9:53 am

    Is a B500 Allison a 1000-2000-3000-4000 series trans. Looking up filters ,Allison kit #29548987 4inch filter says for 3000 4000 trans??


    2000 Featherlite H3-45

    2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee

    Leesburg, FL
  • Roscoeapproved

    Member
    June 28, 2024 at 10:09 am

    Is this the right stuff It does not have the 668-10032020 number on it


    Jeff and Lindsay

    91 Marathon XL
  • DON

    Member
    June 28, 2024 at 12:12 pm

    Our B500 is in the same family as the 4000 series.

    There are 39 different ATF that are Allison approved.

    https://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/on-highway-fluids

  • Jack

    Member
    June 29, 2024 at 10:29 am

    I ordered the filters from United Truck Center they our OEM original Allison filters for $72 bucks a tad more but Allison brand

  • Chuck & Katrina

    Member
    July 1, 2024 at 5:44 pm

    Got my Allison filters for B500 trans, Part#29548987 old # New#29558117 was superseded with this # 29558328 got two 5 gallon buckets of Castrol TranSynd 668 on the way.


    2000 Featherlite H3-45

    2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee

    Leesburg, FL
  • DON

    Member
    July 10, 2024 at 4:34 pm

    Drained old fluid and filters I changed Allison oil filters (4 inch long) measured 6.5 gallons out, refilled with 6.5 gallons, drove bus 20 miles parked in rv building leveled bus with engine running pulled dip stick and just a little under the hot full mark, Pushes up and down arrows and came up O L then O K , Never knew how that worked before if dip stick is just a little under full and it says O K don’t add??

  • Peter

    Member
    July 17, 2024 at 7:56 pm

    Correct. The dip stick may or may not be accurate but the OK indicator is accurate.

Log in to reply.