-
8V92 COMPRESSOR COOLANT LINES
Posted by Paula on July 3, 2014 at 11:23 pmHello
We have 1990 XL with a 8V92. We have to change the power steering pump because its leaking ATF into the engine. My question is while we are in there, do the compressor coolant lines go bad and need replacing like they talk about in the Bluebird forum with their 8V92’s? This forum won’t let me post a link, the topic I am talking about is at the Wanderlodge Owners Group Forum and the topic is “8V92 compressor coolant hose replacement”.
If we need to replace these hoses can we buy them ready made from Prevost or do you have to have them made up somewhere? What is the best material to use?
Thank you for any help you can give me
Starla
Larry replied 12 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 9 Replies -
9 Replies
-
Hi Tom
Your link sample takes me to the prevostcommunity.com main page. I think I got it working now
Here is the info I am talking about
it is post 13 where the owner talks about his hoses about ready to fall apart
Thank you for the help
Starla
-
Starla, not having seen top end of our 8v-92, can you post a picture of yours when it’s apart?
-
A vast amount of time that is all that is wrong. Mine blew on a 89 prevost. I was at a rally.. was looking for a pump and fellow bus guy said I do them all the time or I can get you a new pump. I changed the 50 cent o-ring and was back in operation without pulling pump in 30 minutes. The pump has a roll pin that holds a plunger in. The o-ring is on the plunger to seal it from outside. There is a spring behind the plumger .. You can push it in easy with you finger.Or buy a new several hundrer$$ pump. Oil just above starter correct? FWIW Bob
-
I too had one of those pesky little o-rings start leaking. It takes a really skinny and “flexible” tech to get to the dang thing from above. I don’t know if it is any easier from the bottom and am not interested in finding out. I will say I am carrying a spare o-ring in case it leaks again. Of course I am neither skinny nor, it seems, very flexible anymore. Guess that leaves me searcing for someone that fits the description to do the replacement!
BTW, carrying a spare o-ring will not result in any axle weight limit being exceeded ;<)
-
got mine thru passanger side door. A little tight but biggest job was getting roll pin driven out. It came out in two pieces. Just tap new one in with very small hammer. Bob
-
Hi Jim
We are doing this job from underneath, we don’t have our bedroom apart to take pictures. At first we thought we had to pull it apart but it would not really help to change the power steering pump. Our o-ring is not leaking on our pump as mentioned in other posts, it is the pump shaft seal that is leaking. There is no leak on the ground, the ATF is just going into the engine and you can start to see the oil level getting higher on the stick. We have not driven it like this so I don’t think we hurt anything, luckily it failed in front of our garage.
We did change the compressor coolant hoses, the originals did not seem anywhere near as bad as they talked about on the Bluebird forum linked above. There was one black rubber covered one but it was not rock hard and brittle like on the Bluebird. We had both lines replaced with stainless braided covered teflon lined hoses from Hoses Unlimited in Oakland, CA. We send them our old hoses and they duplicated them. They say this teflon lined hose should last almost indefinitely on the cooling system. It was only about $100 for both hoses. I don’t think we really needed to change ours because they didn’t feel that bad but we feel better now after we did it.
Thanks everyone for the help,
Starla
-
Jim, here is the top of the old 8V92TA engine as seen through the bedroom floor. Access panel is a snap if the bed is North/South. The power steering pump is under the air compressor- so you cannot really get to it easily from the top or the bottom. I tore out the old carpet (24 years old). It covered the access panel, so you would not see that it was there unless learned about it on this site. Big gear driven alternator and all it’s connections easy to check from here.
Log in to reply.