Prevost Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Prevost Community around the world.

  • 800 lb Motorcycle on Overbuilt Lift

    Posted by Ken on May 20, 2012 at 8:26 pm

    Do any of you hang a 800 lb motorcycle and a lift to carry
    it on the rear of your coach, plus pull a vehicle behind that?? I see
    people do it even on
    fiberglass type motorhomes. I’m capable of fabricating sturdy mounts, it
    just seems like a lot of weight when you include the leverage. Anyone
    have any thoughts or experience with this?

    Ken

    petar replied 14 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • petar

    Member
    May 21, 2012 at 6:32 am

    Prevost has a 1000 pound limit (higher on newer coaches) at a point 8″ out on the hitch as well as a 10,000 towing limit. This is undoubtedly because the engine cradle is not intended to carry much more weight than the engine.

    There is a kit that increases the capacity to 20,000 towing limit and a 2000 pound tongue weight.

    I have seen coaches that have had lifts or trailers that exceeded the limits and the stresses imposed on the coach are clearly seen in cracks on the rear cap, and others on this forum have reported structural damage and cracks in the frame and engine support. I wouldn’t consider any trailer or lift that exceeds the Prevost limit.

Log in to reply.