-
So far Joel is the first and only one to report these issues with the 50DN.
There have been reports of oil leaks at the seal behind the pulley or at the rear plate but none I can remember describing issues with bolts.
-
It’s my pioneer stock! Although I do check the bolts occasionally now, even on the Penntex, it’s probably a safe assumption that my issue was caused by poor quality control at Delco as opposed to a usual failure.
Still, if I have an opportunity to simplify by eliminating external oil lines, leakage, and possible contamination of my engine oil due to failure of an alternator, I’ll take it.
-
There are few issues with the Delco 50 DN with exception of front pulley oil leaks. Seal replacement being a relative inexpense repair. Careful not damage the new seal when installing.
The other issue and I’am aware of two (2) failures is crimp of wire on solderless wire connection in this picture at 11 o’clock position. The wire becomes loose in the crimp showing a unsteady charge reading. In one case the owner was able to pull the wire out of the solderless crimp with two fingers. This wire stands straightup on back of the 50DN.
Rear of 50DN top connection at 11 o’clock. Wire usually is standing straight up.
-
The wire connection issue is not a Delco issue but a Prevost issue because that is their field wire connection. And they don’t learn. I had the same issue on the gear driven 50DN that was hung on the back of the 8V92 in our first coach. No slack in those wires makes for a sure failure.
-
To be clear, I have the seal leak again and from around a bolt on the top. Still not much, but there.
-
Sawbonz,
Find a very thin 1/2 inch or 7/16 ( one or the other I can’t be sure ) open end wrench. Go behind the pulley…
tightening all the bolts evenly. You have 6 bolts move up and down to make sure the housing is tightened evenly.
Often leak appears to be from rubber round seal could be the gasket seal. With a little clean up …..
see what happens on your next trip.

-
I found a rebuild in Ft Worth Texas for 11500 ex plus reg 2750 works great thanks Busman
-
Could someone provide the part # or link to where I can purchse the newer upgraded voltage regulator?
Looks like my house charging issue was a bit more than just the Klixon breakers and I want to replace the VR to the newer style.
Log in to reply.