Prevost Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Prevost Community around the world.

  • 3rd 50 DN failure including OEM

    Posted by Jim/Chris on May 21, 2018 at 10:56 am

    When we bought our 2000 XL 40 no slide coach 8/5/15, Marathon gave us a $5K credit to fix anything we identified. Since Pre-purchase inspection spotted oil seep on 50DN, we decided WTH, replace it so not to worry. A couple months later, the new “reman” was leaking oil. Located local Denver rebuild shop, obtain another and shipped old back to Marathon for their credit where they bought it.

    Fast forward 2 1/2 years, 50DN 270 dash light on. House Tech Link indicates house batteries not getting a charge from 50DN. Testing indicated the voltage regulator. Installed new one yesterday, no joy. Also replaced 24v relay Marathon uses behind drivers dash board panel-No Joy. Electrical panel over engine, replaced 24v relay for generator field- just because. No joy.

    Going to Stewart Stevenson Wednesday for them to test alternator.

    I see replacements. Penntex plug and play air cooled, no disputing it’s benfits. also find 50DN 450 amp uses same connection points and voltage regulator brochure description, by adding inverters, house battery banks, lights etc, 450 amp helpful in charging up batteries and running supplemental coach working. anyone know of downfalls upgrading to a 450 amp alternator instead instead of 270 amp 450 amp seems available “new” and remans 270 mostly just rebuilds

    Tim replied 8 years, 4 months ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Doug

    Member
    May 21, 2018 at 11:20 am

    Might consider Elreg Mfg.

    I put one of their 300 amp 12v on my CC.

    Did not get to use it much because I sold it in Feb.

    Mine was simple plug and play, no probems, made to go right back where the 50DN goes.

    I think they are also sponsors here on PC.

  • Archived

    Member
    May 21, 2018 at 11:26 am

    OEM lasted me about 125K. Went through a reman and a new in the next 10K. Now have about 90K on my 24volt, 300 amp penntex air cooled. It’s doing fine. I was afraid to go to higher amp because I didn’t know if coach/chassis wiring was adequate and I actually failed to see the need…the old 270 was adequate when it wasn’t leaking or falling apart.

    I did experience a problem with the bolts which mount the alternator bracket to the engine timing case. Top 2 cracked and I drilled out to 1/2 inch and installed grade 8 with long shoulders. No problem in the last 80K.

    I currently have the upgraded timing case brackets on order.

  • Dick

    Member
    May 21, 2018 at 2:08 pm

    Alternator leaks are annoying, but easily addressed and not a reason to swap out a perfectly good alternator.

    However, when a 50 DN fails to charge step one is to isolate the issue to either the regulator or the alternator itself. Delco has a comprehensive manual available on line to list the procedure for identifying the part of the alternator or alternator system that has failed. Some 50 DN issues are very easily fixed, others, not so easy.

    Others may disagree, but the 50 DN is robust and reliable, but if it is pushed hard its life is compromised. Whether the load is the current draw from the OTR system such as on a Liberty or running house roof or Cruisairs through the inverter the alternator is being asked to provide a lot of output and as it is run close to its limits it builds heat and its life is compromised. My suggestion is when high loads are anticipated to just fire up the on board generator.

  • Jerry

    Member
    May 21, 2018 at 5:51 pm

    FYI – Elreg left us in 2016 as an advertiser.

    C’bus – You can easily field test the alternator to see if it’s the alternator or regulator.

  • Archived

    Member
    May 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm

    Truk

    we did a field test per Jon’s tutelage, and that’s why we derived bad voltage reg. Boat earl called to give a few more avenues to check. Too much to do this afternoon, may do some checking tomorrow

    thx

    .

  • Archived

    Member
    May 24, 2018 at 1:38 pm

    Our local 50DN rebuilder blames our alternator failure on the Lifeline Batteries. REALLY, ugh! They told those batteries were working the “snot” out of the alternator. Never discharged them more than an hour stop for lunch running single cruise air. Never dry camp, for the 20kw Kohler is always on when we stop. Talked with Lifeline this morning to reassure myself I was being fed a fairy tale. Confirmed. But, what does one do. Coach is outside at Stewart Stevenson in prime hail season, and not wanting to wait for shipment of any other choice in alternator,no new Elrig or Pentex air cooled available, so ponied up for yet another rebuilt 50DN from A-1 Alternator. $5710 special price for return customer I was told. Was told we had a good “run” on current dead alternator of less than three years since install. Crap!! So buying new voltage regulator we thought we had diagnosed, it turned out to be “no power” from alternator. Crap crap 💩 Now to install yet another alternator

  • Jerry

    Member
    May 24, 2018 at 2:30 pm

    OK, I’m confused. When you ran the jumper wire from the batteries to the alternator field post you said you got charging voltage, a clear indication the alternator is putting out power, but the regulator is not feeding power as needed to the field post.

    How is it now that the alternator is the culprit, and worse, why would you deal with any shop that feeds you as much manure as you have been fed?

    They should be paying you for listening to their lies. To blame the batteries is like blaming a spoon for making someone fat.

  • Tim

    Member
    May 24, 2018 at 10:18 pm

    Headed to Stewart and Stevenson this morning for them to pull the 270 alternator. Towed Rover behind bus, so I could be the shop’s legs and take alternator to shop that rebuilt it. Test FAILed.

    Jon, I think I miss understood what Chris told during our testing. Ended up having no power coming out of the 270

    no new units available in Denver, and this being hail season, we opted for yet another 50 DN rebuild now with a 6 month warranty instead of year. They’re reduced their warranty, figures

    then they proceeded to tell the lifeline batteries were at fault over working the alternator. What??? Nothing appears to be their fault

    the real corker, is they never heard of lifeline batteries but knew of Deka.

    Needless to say A-1 Alternator sucks

  • joel

    Member
    May 25, 2018 at 2:42 pm

    I’m surprised there are no Penntex units available. When I bought mine, I had no issues. I did have to have it shipped from Phoenix to me but I’m in a little town.

    Probably too late for you to change your decision, but, as an interim measure, I have hooked chassis and house systems together (both 24 volt and simple) and charged all batteries while running with generator through inverters.

    Not surprised they’ll only give you a 6 month warranty!! Maybe you should start planning now for the next time!!


    1999 XLV X-6872,  liberty #440
  • Archived

    Member
    May 25, 2018 at 2:52 pm

    By the way, I would strongly recommend checking (and maybe rechecking after running) the 6 bolts holding the 2 alternator halves together. On my third alternator (reman), 2 bolts sheared off and the rest were loose causing a reduction in charge rate and a severe oil leak. I was lucky to catch it before losing all the engine oil.

  • Herb

    Member
    May 25, 2018 at 3:58 pm

    Check! We will watch this thing. There were Penntex available but all were out of state.

Log in to reply.