Prevost Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Prevost Community around the world.

  • 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Automatic

    Posted by Andy on July 26, 2017 at 6:45 pm

    Does anyone tow a 2017 Jeep Wrangler? I recently purchased one and under the Owners Manual under the recreational towing instructions under the section titled “Shifting out of neutral” step 3 it says to reconnect the negative battery cable. This sounds simple enough except for the fact that in the section labeled “Shifting into neutral” never has you removing the negative battery cable to start with.

    I checked the 2016 model and the “Shifting out of neutral” section does not have the step to reconnect the negative battery cable. I’ll be contacting the dealer but I’d thought I would check with the PC.

    Also, do you remove any fuses?

    Rudy replied 9 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Bill

    Member
    July 26, 2017 at 8:00 pm

    I tow a new 2016 Wrangler and it’s great, neutral transfer, transmission in park, turn off ignition, pull the key and lock the doors. There is no steering lock or voltage draw.

    My 07 Wrangler needed a battery disconnect, it would go dead in one day of towing without.

  • Bill

    Member
    July 26, 2017 at 8:11 pm

    I tow a 2017 Jeep Wrangler automatic and there’s nothing in the procedure regarding disconnecting the battery cables. Are you looking in the Recreational Towing Section?

    This page is from section 6, page 325 of the 2017 manual:

  • Archived

    Member
    July 27, 2017 at 5:52 am

    Thanks Tom, that is what I expected on my 2017 as well.

    Thanks Andy and yes, I am looking in the “Recreational Towing (Behind Motorhome, etc.)” which starts on page 150 of my “2017 Wrangler User Guide.” Interestingly, the last numbered page in my manual is 264. My manual has the following on the back cover “copyright 2016 FCA. All rights reserved”

    I also looked at the online version at :

    https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/care/owners-manual.html?openGarage=true

    and it also has the same information regarding removing the negative battery cable.

    I’m curious to see what the dealer says.

    Andy

  • Dick

    Member
    July 27, 2017 at 7:08 am

    Has anyone ever gotten accurate towing advice from a dealer?

    The only advice I would ever accept regarding towing 4 wheels down would come from the owner’s manual.

  • Corey

    Member
    July 27, 2017 at 8:26 am

    And even they can be sketchy…ask anyone with a new Escalade. Geo.

  • Harry

    Member
    July 27, 2017 at 10:22 am

    My ’14 Jeep GC works the same, except there’s no key to remove and you need to use the key fob to turn of the auto remote starter button. But it takes us less than a minute to hook-up or un-hook.

    Great vehicle!

  • Rudy

    Member
    July 27, 2017 at 3:46 pm

    When I purchased the Wrangler, I was my typical PITB self and my first question was if the manufacturer had figured out the death wobble issues that were present on previous models and if it’s been corrected on the 2017 models. They were clueless and sent me to the service department.

    No answers there either.

    So, I went to the GM and said that I’d like to buy one, but I need it in writing that the model I purchase is factory approved for towing behind a motorhome. I sent him the link that appeared on the FMCA website that had the statement from Fiat/Chrysler about a specific wiring harness that needs to be installed on specific models. It surprised me that while this was active conversations on various forums, they dealer and service department was clueless about this harness. I even provided the part number.

    I’ll add that calling the Jeep toll free number was useless as they just tell you to ask the dealer.

    Finally, the dealer put it in writing (email) that towing behind the bus would in no way violate the factory warranty.

    When I made the purchase and completed the mountain of paperwork, I refused to sign the arbitration clause and explained that after all, they were unsure about the death wobble thing and should it happen, I’m not waving my rights to a jury trial. This delayed the purchase for a half hour while they called the GM and then the owner. They agreed with my logic.

    Then, on the last page of the contract, they snuck (not they…it was pre-printed) another statement about arbritration. I struck that one out and initialled it. By then, I was buddies with the finance manager and we were laughing about it.

    With around 5,000 towing miles, the Wrangler has done a fine job!

  • Marius

    Member
    July 27, 2017 at 4:17 pm


    Jon, my problem is with the manual. It contradicts itself.

  • Rudy

    Member
    July 27, 2017 at 6:36 pm

    I saw that so if it does not list in the process to disconnect the cable then my interpretation is there is not one to hook back up.

Log in to reply.