Prevost Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Prevost Community around the world.

  • 2003 XL2

    Posted by Marvin on November 9, 2022 at 10:49 am

    Good morning. I am not sure if this is the correct sub forum but here goes! I joined this forum back in 2019. I was very interested in buying a Prevost. I did fall in love with what looked like t it might be a good coach. Some kind people answered ny questions. I did not pursue as the seller was a sleazy consignment dealer. Yet the coach was owned by a fellow from AZ that buys and sells coaches. Then the pandemic hit. I have a nice Bluebird PT 40 that I bought from a friend. He had a gorgeous Marathon. 1998 I think. He called me to see If I was wanting to buy that coach. I had to pass as we were stuck in Canada. Yesterday I was looking at coaches on the net. I really wanted a 40 ft. but came across a 2003 2 slide Royale. It is a little over my price range but I would have no problem paying for this beauty. I know the Royales are known for the woodwork. This coach reflects that reputation. The layout is nice. I am not sure if the fridge door will open when the slide is in. I am an experienced RV’r and many persons in this forum gave me good info on Prevost coaches. I have not yet contacted the seller. Of course my first concern would be the delam problem. I need to know if Prevost has inspected the coach for skin problems. What other important items should I question. I know about tires, batteries, etc. Once I have a list of questions I will post a link to the coach. Any help appreciated.

    Michael replied 3 years, 11 months ago 7 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Marvin

    Member
    November 9, 2022 at 12:13 pm

    Either see evidence of a delam repair by Prevost, or have the coach inspected by Prevost before a penny changes hands.

    Nobody but Prevost should inspect the coach or do a delam repair.

  • Greg

    Member
    November 9, 2022 at 12:41 pm

    I took the bull by the horn and called the seller. Name is George Woddall. He has 2 units for sale. I asked if he was a dealer and the reply was he somehow had 2 and needs to sell one. RED FLAG#1 . The I asked if it he had a tested the unit for delam. Reply was yes. Next I asked if it was done at Prevost.Reply was no. It was a dealer. RED FLAG#2. Then I asked if he had a copy of the test. Reply was no RED FLAG #3. Then he told me it only had one little spot and it was fixed. RED FLAG #4. WOW!! Too bad as the pics show it as beautiful coach.

    Royale

    In the ad he states that there is a Royale specialist in Elkhart. I emailed that shop as a google showed it as closed. No answer

  • Jon

    Member
    November 9, 2022 at 3:15 pm

    We have known George (the Owner) for years and he is an exceptional, down to Earth and kind man. Yes, he owns two beautiful Prevost Coaches and has been wrestling with whether or not to sell one…and, if so, which one? He loves this Royale for its carpentry and simplicity of use. However, his other Coach is newer and with more bells & whistles.

    George is a custom luxury home builder, extremely mechanical and maintains everything he owns to the highest of standards. He has shown us this Royale Coach a couple times (myself first, then later with my wife). It is in phenomenal condition and with roof airs!

    That said, you are talking about a 20-year old Coach. Expect that there will be some work required and budget accordingly. Plan on taking it to Prevost to have them check over the chassis and for any delamination – wasn’t any that we could tell but, Prevost are the experts.

    I’ve seen newer Coaches that are not as beautifully maintained and cared for as this one. Go to several dealers (e.g., Olympia Luxury Motorcoach in TN, Legacy in TX) or, the converters (Liberty in Chicago or FL; Marathon in OR and FL; Featherlite in FL or Millennium in FL) and shop around. You likely won’t find a better Coach for less. Purchasing is a personal matter…you’ll know you found the “right for you” Coach when you ultimately see it.

    Just be aware: have Coach, throw wallet! These Prevost are not inexpensive to own, operate or Maintain. But, SO worth it!

  • Marshall

    Member
    November 9, 2022 at 4:59 pm

    Despite the owner’s answers, delam questions may not be a deal breaker. Assuming he has 2 coaches he is not unaware of the issue unless he is out of touch with the XLII history.

    Good coaches get sold quickly and if this coach is as good as described you and the seller can work jointly to put this potential issue out of the way.

    I’ll repeat some advice I have provided numerous times. Assuming it is a coach you like and want to buy and you and the seller have agreed on price the next step is a pre-purchase inspection. Where you live or where the coach is will determine where the coach gets inspected. But there is one certainty. Start with a delam inspection by Prevost first. It is possible it has none, it has a little, or it has a whole lot. The repair can cost nothing, a little or $50,000 or more. Once you possess the knowledge of what you are dealing with you both can focus on how to complete the sale.

    In a perfect world you can have the Florida shop that did the most repairs on delam do the inspection. But it needs to be done and if anyone attempts to claim it is not a big deal they are lying. The repairs are required because delam can allow moisture to enter the coach and that can lead to mold and mildew which is a safety issue as well as a huge cost to remediate. A full repair involves the addition of strips under the skin to prevent moisture from ever becoming an issue, and a partial repair may just involve loosening some p-panels and re-adhering them as required.

  • Greg

    Member
    November 9, 2022 at 6:29 pm

    The owner was not forthcoming. When I bought both of of our Bluebirds I flew to many cities looking for the right unit. But I spoke with the sellers and had lots of pictures. When an owner spews nonsense I walk away. If he had told me that a Prevost factory facility had checked it over I would have pursued. But telling me that a “shop” looked at it and did a glue repair that was very small was not the answer I was expecting. He also told me that there was no paperwork. Indeed it appears to be an exceptional unit. One can expect to spend money on any used MH or Bus. How ever the possibility of a unit that needs 5 or 6 figures of repairs is not something I want to undertake. Regardless I was very excited to find a unit that was exactly what we were seeking.

  • George

    Member
    November 9, 2022 at 9:06 pm

    Maybe I’m not properly following your comments?

    If he told you the Coach had not been checked for delamination by Prevost but, instead by the dealer and a loose panel had been found and glued. Then where is the deception?

    If no paperwork, then it is likely that the dealership just did it as part of their zeroing-out the Coach.

    Agree with Jon…if you think it was otherwise a great Coach, then why not have a delamination inspection by Prevost Winter Garden (or, elsewhere) be part of the pre-purchase inspection?

    FYI – based on the pictures with the slides in…it looks like the French door refrigerator would easily open and be accessible while traveling.

  • Greg

    Member
    November 10, 2022 at 8:19 am

    Where are the pictures mentioned in last post

  • john

    Member
    November 10, 2022 at 8:53 am

    As a former 2005 Royale Coach XLII owner, I can tell you they are great coaches. Nothing like the solid cherry cabinetry and simplicity of operation. Great units.

    I did not get a delam inspection done and ultimately found one panel that needed to be re-glued. I think it was about $500 for the work at Prevost. I agree with Jon…..the bill can be MUCH MORE, so do your homework.

    Legacy Coach in Rockwall TX has a Royale for sale right now. It was owned by a friend of mine. You might check it out and compare costs.

    Not sure where you live, but East Tennessee Luxury Coach just south of Knoxville does great work and knows these coaches in and out.

    Good luck with your search.

  • Michael

    Member
    November 10, 2022 at 10:10 am

    In the 3rd Post from the top…click on the word “Royale” and it opens up the Prevost Stuff listing for this Coach.

  • Marshall

    Member
    November 10, 2022 at 3:30 pm

    Thanks everyone for the advice.

Log in to reply.