-
1951 Prevost – Very Cool
Posted by Harry on September 15, 2017 at 8:17 amI saw this on another forum and thought you’d enjoy seeing it! It reminds me of Andy’s Flexible Flyer!
Archived replied 9 years ago 5 Members · 6 Replies -
6 Replies
-
Looks good! Must be a Marathon with all those windows. lol.
-
Thanks for posting this Harry.
I can tell you that from my experience owning the Starliner the past year and logging a few thousand highway miles, the rounded rear end allows my bus to stay very stable on the road. After test driving numerous RVs that are sized similar to the Flx, I can tell you that it is much more stable on the road, stays planted in its lane and rarely if ever gets pushed around by big trucks passing. While the Flx has a more rounded front end cap than this model Prevost, the rears have similar design cues.
Also, I really like having the rear baggage compartment and having it only using the lower bays for operational items. It allows the bus to have a lower exterior height and a workable interior height.

-
Hi Andy,From what I understand this was a one of a kind coach built by MR Prevost himself. What’s unclear is if it was a diesel or gasser? Some say it was a gasser first and converted to diesel some years later? What about your flexible, gas or diesel?
Harry
-
I’m to understand the Starliner was originally gas powered and included a manual transmission. At one point it had a 471 Detroit and a 4850 Spicer five speed transmission with overdrive. In 2002 it was converted to diesel with a Cummins ISC 8.3L turbo diesel engine and upgraded to an Allison six-speed, double overdrive transmission. A diesel powered generator for the A/C was added at that time.
-
Gourgeous Coaches Andy,
But how do they drive compared to the modern-day Prevost Buses? Is your Flex all electric and can they be retrofitted with the newest technology, like the Prevost starting in the 1990’s?
Just wondering since one of these buses “is not” in my future.
-
The Starliner drives amazingly well. One of the few upgrades I had performed was the removal of the propane powered refrigerator and replaced it with refrigerator/freezer drawers and an inverter and additional batteries. This gave me the space for a half closet.
The only propane on the bus is for the range and a heating system…I’ve not used either of them. The diesel powered HVAC has heat, but only used twice and it kept the bus cozy.
Originally I thought I would add power steering, but other than in tight parking lot maneuvers, it’s not needed, In fact, I cancelled my gym membership as all I need to do is practice parking and I get a good workout! When it’s under movement, the ride is amazing for a 60 year old bus. I’m afraid to modify the steering to power as the large steering wheel makes it fairly easy to drive. The only wind noise is when I’m going into the wind and otherwise, it’s not too bad. I really enjoy driving this bus!
When I drive the Flx for a while then go to the Prevost, sometimes I see myself reaching for the center mounted chrome door handle on the Prevost to open the door for the passenger. As we know, the Prevost doesn’t have that lever!
Diesel fillups take an hour as it’s a people magnet.
Like Lucy, it makes people smile!
Log in to reply.