Prevost Community Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
Prevost Community around the world.

  • 12V Aux Compressor

    Posted by Tim on March 31, 2016 at 7:58 am

    This morning when I woke up I noticed I had no air on my Marathon side. I reset the 12v button but the compressor still did not kick in.

    Is there Any other switch for this compressor? The compressor is fairly new so I doubt the compressor is bad, but I’m sure new items do go bad relatively quickly.

    AL replied 10 years, 6 months ago 10 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Chas

    Member
    March 31, 2016 at 8:36 am

    I think mine is different than yours Tim. Originally I had 2 aux compressors, one 12v and the other 120. The 12v had a circuit breaker at the DC panel in the bedroom and the 120v has an on/off rocker switch on the dash and a breaker at the AC panel in the bedroom.

  • Archived

    Member
    March 31, 2016 at 9:10 am

    I have a circuit breaker in bedroom panel labeled; air-comp switch for Marathon aux compressor in drivers bay.

  • Michael

    Member
    March 31, 2016 at 12:52 pm

    Tim,

    I only have one compressor but it has both a 120 breaker and a 12v breaker (which I think is for the control) that both need to be checked. flipping either breaker will disable it.

    Good Luck

    Bill

  • Archived

    Member
    March 31, 2016 at 1:18 pm

    Al,

    What switch is in the driver’s bay for the aux compressor? I’ve looked and couldn’t locate one.

    My Aux compressor is only 12v so no breakers are located I. The AC Aux panel.

  • Steve

    Member
    April 2, 2016 at 2:26 pm

    Well,

    This morning my Aux Compressor majically started working again. Ugh … I hate that. When something doesn’t work, I try to figure it out, then a day or so later, it starts working without first determining why it stopped working in the first place.

    Can’t be a fuse since it wouldn’t come back on. I didn’t see any 12V circuit breakers tripped, although I still re-set the air comp at the DC panel box.

  • Dan

    Member
    April 2, 2016 at 3:47 pm

    If I had to guess there are usually two reasons that make a compressor not run apart from fuses or circuit breakers or the switch being off.

    The most common is the pressure switch. The compressor gets the signal to start from that switch, and then when pressure is reached the switch opens. If it did not close when pressure dropped that could be the problem, especially if the switch had been jostled, like with a big hammer, or vibrations from driving. A second potential reason is if the motor has a thermal overload switch. This is not the reason if everything else works, but if the pressure switch failed to open, as system pressure builds the compressor has to work harder, creating more heat eventually cycling on the overload switch. That is not good.

  • Dan

    Member
    April 2, 2016 at 4:49 pm

    It could be the pressure switch. Where is that located?

  • AL

    Member
    April 2, 2016 at 8:48 pm

    AUX compressor showing regulator which cycles on at 80-85 psi ..off at 110-115 psi.

    Added moisture manual drain tank with manual valve. Outbound air travels to AUX tank mounted behind left front fender. That drain has a drain located in generator bay. Our bus is equiped with a electric toilet so there is les demand on the AUX compressor which cycles on around every 2 to 3 days.

    Pressure switches are now mounted on top of AUX air tanks located in drivers bay with AUX compressors mounted in generator bays.

    AL and Mary Ellen
    2000 Marathon H # 591 w/ OTR air
    2010 GMC Acadia AWD
    KC, MO.
    There is no greater treasure than a good friend

  • Archived

    Member
    April 2, 2016 at 9:14 pm

    Truk, I’am trying to edit my post, your message has piggy backed me.

    Does that mean I’am kicked out of PC. What about the 5 year dues check I sent ?

  • victor

    Member
    April 2, 2016 at 10:33 pm

    Easy fix Al. Just send another 5 years of dues and all should be ok.

  • joel

    Member
    April 3, 2016 at 7:29 am

    The reason for the piggy back is you were in la la land when you posted it to the tire thread, so I copied it stuck it in the right place. Your dues will be going up for the inconvenience.


    1999 XLV X-6872,  liberty #440
  • AL

    Member
    April 3, 2016 at 8:22 am

    Al,

    I got that check with the five year’s worth of dues. The check amount was $00.

    When I tried cashing it the bank couldn’t get it to go through due to insufficient funds. WTF?

  • Dick

    Member
    April 3, 2016 at 9:09 am

    I thought there was a lot of money in the bank. I had a bundle of checks.

Log in to reply.